[Harp-L] re: XB -40 ? does it worth it ?

NiKo Ba writes:

"I would like to study some jazz songs and improv in blues harmonica ? does XB-40 is a good choice for that ? or should i stick with the standard type of blues harp ?"

Personally, I'd recommend the chromatic for jazz, but that's just me.

But, the XB-40 is definitely worth checking out. It's a brilliant design and does things the standard diatonic can't, as well as having it's own feel and sound. It doesn't really make playing jazz songs any easier than on a standard diatonic, since you still rely on bends for a lot of notes. I find it works well for simpler soul-jazz numbers like "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" and such (not better than standard diatonic, just different).

Hope this helps.

JR Ross