From: Tony Eyers <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Exhorbitant Hohner repair prices
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 8:58 AM

".... In 2007 I sent my reedplates for CBH 2012 for reconditioning. The charge was reasonable at
$20 for reconditioning and $5 for shipping."

$20 for reconditioning an entire set of chromatic reedplates (presumably retuning, replacing dead reeds/windsavers) seems very low. To assess prices like it is best to estimate the number of hours needed to do the job properly, divide into the cost and look at resulting hourly rate.

"... I was surprised when you sent me the estimate for CBH
2012 reedplate reconditioning at $120 and CBH 2016 reconditioning at $145."

This more recent higher priced estimate seems to reflect more accurately what it would cost Hohner per hour to put a skilled person on to this task. I imagine that servicing costs for other wind instruments (Sax, trumpet) would charge at similar hourly rates.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
...everyone plays