[Harp-L] Which harp mic is most feedback resistant?

JP said:
"Yes,  a Fireball is responsive to cupping technique, but I think what
 Greg means is there is no proximity effect and the element does not
 distort in response to tight cupping like, say, a 545 will"

I haven't had the opportunity to play through a 545 yet, but I will take your word for it.  Proximity effect I am familiar with from the 57.  I have not missed that with the Fireball as it is good at producing lows without relying on the proximity effect.

I know that my  biscuit and bullet do distort more with a tight cup.  I would assume that it is similar with a 545.

I have noticed a thickening of tone, if not full distortion, when I cut back on the volume control and tiightly cup the Fireball V, but it isn't comparable to the biscuit or bullet when compressed with a tight cup.

I often switch between diatonic and chromatic harps, and usually do not get as tight a cup with chromatic. Maybe it is a technique issue with me.  As I move up and down the chromatic I find that I need to be able to have a looser cup and I want to be able to do this without getting feedback.  I also sometimes may need to boost some high frequencies when on chromatic so that the volume remains equal on different parts of the harp.  I need to not have feedback when I do this.  I have been able to do this with the Fireball.  Before the Fireball I had reasonable luck with the EV630 when switching diatonic and chromatic, but the lows were not as good, and the feedback threshold was lower.

I want to be clear that while I really like the versatility of the Fireball V and recommend it, I will acknowledge that it doesn't "sing" to the extent that some hot mics will with the right amp match.

Doug