Re: [Harp-L] Rick Estrin workshop in Dallas, 10/10

I believe the great "Kid Andersen" is playing guitar with Rick recently, should be a great show. I've heard that Charlie Baty still does some local shows with Rick and is involverd in a gypsy jazz combo close to home. JDH
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michelle LeFree" <mlefree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2009 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Rick Estrin workshop in Dallas, 10/10

Chris Mastakas asks:
My question: Is Little Charlie still his guitar player in this new band you mentioned, Tom?
Chris, I hasten to avoid speaking for Tom Ellis. None-the-less, I am sad to report that Little Charlie is no longer in the band, hence the name change. I loved Charlie Baty's guitar work and the way he and Rick had that sixth sense great musicians get after playing togther for decades. Apparently Charlie got weary of being on the road almost constantly. I respect that, but it doesn't ease the pain for us Charlie Baty fans. From what I have read, I can't tell whether or not Charlie has retired completely. I hope not. Maybe Tom or someone else can fill us in on that score. Hopefully he's still gigging close to home in California.

I haven't seen the new band yet, but I am confident that Rick chose a highly qualified replacement for Charlie. Charlie Baty electrified the audience each time I saw the band. A very exciting player, definitely a musical peer for the great Rick Estrin. Big shoes to fill, fer sure!

Michelle