Re: [Harp-L] Playing While Driving

Yeah. I live in a small I-5 community at the North end of the State of California. I am pretty used to getting in my car, turning on the cruise control and driving the 60 miles or so to the nearest city - Redding, CA or Medford, OR. When I am driving by myself, I certainly pull out my harp and play. I turn the radio off and do regular practice stuff - scales, arpeggios, riffs and tunes I'm working on, but never new stuff. Also with my trombone mouthpiece.

Personally, I don't find it terribly distracting - no more so than listening, really listening to music. Also, I regularly operate two-way radio equipment from my car, and that has the potential of being much more distracting than the rote practice I do in the car. I also limit my playing to my I-5 trips. I-5 may be the most boring road in the country, so the playing helps keep me from nodding off.

I don't try terribly hard to hide what I am doing, but I don't wave the thing at cops or other drivers either.

Well, enough rationalizing...

-LM