[Harp-L] Re: The beatings will continue untill tuning improves

I'm with you Wendell, I love that Clarke beating sound.  William Clarke's chromatic style has had a real influence on my diatonic playing.  Wether he set the harps up that way on purpose or they just migrated to it, it is the tuning that provides the beating.  I have a couple of harps that give me a similar, and pleasant beating, on select high octaves ("pleasantness is in the ear of the harpholder!").  I've been getting into doing my own tuning and I would hate to tune this out of those harps for the stuff I'm playing with my band.  If I get an unpleasant beating I tune it out.  I'll have to start documenting the tuning differences that provide "good" beating so that I may be able to reproduce it in the future.  If I get some of this good beating tuning data next time I'm tuning harps I'll send it out to the list.

Glenn

The ColdRail Blues Band

www.ColdRail.com