From: David Payne [mailto:dmatthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:24 PM
To: Harp L Harp L
Subject: [Harp-L] Announcement: West Virginia Youth Harmonica Orchestra
forming

I'm pleased to annouce that I'll be starting up the West Virginia Youth
Harmonica Orchestra after the first of the year. The group will be comprised
of elementary school students from grades 2-5 in Parkersburg, West Virginia.
This is a good thing for the instrument. I've always been convinced that for
the harmonica to regain its former popularity we have to get it out to the
general public, especially in the schools.  This is a program that children
will be able to participate in year after year. It is my hope that when
those children reach middle school, we can develop a similar program for the
older kids.

These sorts of things aren't necessarily easy to get off the ground, so
we're especially fortunate that the C.A. Seydel company has stepped in with
assistance to make the program a success and sustainable. One part of
Seydel's cooperation in this program is the donation of octave harps,
specifically Seydel Concerto Duos, which is two of the concerto octave harps
mounted together... these will be used for chordal accompaniment. This is a
great start for the program, while other orchestral harmonicas (if anybody
has one regardless of condition they'd like to donate) would be very useful,
this donation from Seydel makes the whole thing possible... Seydel has also
offered additional support, which is unfolding, to this school program.

Many thanks!
Dave
www.elkriverharmonicas.com