[Harp-L] What Makes a Good Player

It's a sign in a Ben and Jerry's store window: "If it's not fun, why do it?"

But I believe the original poster (hey, it was Chris Reynolds!) wanted to
know, what elements make others (not necessarily audiences) respect a
player?

Hard work has got to be one of the admirable qualities-I am thinking of
Jason Ricci-but maintaining a sense of fun is also a worthwhile trait.

So both things, freedom and discipline, combine to make an enjoyable player.

I am reminded of something Barney Kessel used to say, that when people dug
his performances, what they were enjoying was him enjoying himself-not how
good a guitar player he was, but how good playing guitar made him feel.

So that's what I think makes a great player.

Gary