[Harp-L] Why or how does the major scale equation work?

Early on  I teach my students about half steps and whole steps and
that the do re mi fa so la ti do major scale can be played by
beginning on any  note on the keyboard and then moving up a whole step
followed by a whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half.

My new student asked me why or how does it work.  I did my best
explanation but felt I came up short.  What say the physics guys or
anyone with a good explanation?
Thanks,
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com