Re: [Harp-L] Just have fun with it!

Forgive me for saying so, but to this newbie, your message is reasonable, but your delivery is unnecessarily sarcastic.

Different people learn differently.

My learning style tends towards the deductive: Teach me the rules and the theory, first, and then take me from there to the particulars of notes and licks. Or teach me a lick, but tell me *right away* why it works. I love harmony, and reading, and scales, and all the rest. I'm not yet advanced enough (imho) to do much with orchestration, but I get it that working on tone is important, and I think I'm on the cusp of wanting to learn to read and write charts.

Some people, though, really do seem to learn inductively: Teach them the particulars, get them playing licks and having fun and sounding good, then lead them from there to the abstract concepts that will help them expand their repertoire and skill.

I've met one very phenomenal player in particular (I think he wouldn't want me to share his name, so in the spirit of discretion I'll omit it) who can't for the life of him put into words what he knows. He can't read music. But I can hear in his playing that he knows this stuff inside and out. I want more than anything to teach this guy how to teach someone like me, because I really want what he's got. (I have teaching credentials in a completely different subject, and a keen interest in teaching and learning independent of subject matter.)

I believe that Mr. Hegedus was sincerely sharing what worked for him. Sometimes when I get wrapped around a post with the theoretical stuff, it really does help to be reminded to play and have fun. Sure, in *addition* to the investment I'm making in scales, etc., but still. I welcome his reminder to do so even as I search for the next "age-appropriate" bit of theory to focus on so as to get the most bang for the buck given my current level of skill and experience.

Elizabeth