[Harp-L] RE: Richter oh Richter, why oh why?

IMHO, the primary reason most people stick with the traditional Richter Tuning/layout is because there is little opportunity to learn that there are alternatives until one has already put in a certain amount of money, time and effort learning-and then it seems like too much of a loss to switch over. The "bricks and mortar" stores carry items that can be "moved" off the shelves, including the "standard" brands/models/keys AND the supporting instructional materials. Only long after certain tricks/habits/techniques have been learned AND the newly minted harp slinger travels out of his woodshed does he encounter others who are using or experimenting with alternate tunings.

I started on Golden Melodies. I blew them out so fast that I had only two choices: (1) Find a different harp that would last longer until I learned how to play better; or (2) give up the idea of playing harmonicas altogether. (I still love Golden Melody harps!) Fortunately, I found a very supportive online community AND a very supportive environment at the Cardinal State Harmonica Club and Harmonica Plus Club in VA. I learned more about different brands, switched to Lee Oskar and Special 20s, and most importantly, I found out WHY I was blowing out harps so quickly.

I also learned that there are some great online stores that not only were less expensive, but carried a much wider selection than the usual Mom and Pop music store. From great books (Steve Baker's Harp Handbook and others), I learned about alternate tunings like spiral (circular) tuning. At that time, there were no sources for alternate tunings except customizers, so I didn't pursue that avenue for lack of financial resources. I'm not a "pro" and have no intentions of ever becoming one, so I couldn't justify several hundred dollars for a single harp and obviously am too cheap to buy a full set at those prices. I ain't knocking the customizers' prices; I really can't see how they stay in business at the LOW prices they charge. There are some really dedicated people doing it more for the love of it than for the money.

The turning point (for me) occurred when I started studying music theory AND wanted more notes available without performing unnatural acts to achieve them. I did not (and still don't) like chromatic harps with slides and windsavers. (I have tried the Tombo slideless/valveless chromatics, and like them EXCEPT for the actual note layout.) Concurrently, Seydel made alternate tunings available commercially, with the capability of specifying the desired note layout (within reason) and then getting that "special" tuning for a small additional fee. (BTW, the Seydel Harp Configurator is another great Seydel offering!) I ordered a Circular (Zirkular in German) Tuned harp and loved how easy it was to play things I had struggled with before. I ordered a complete set through Coast-to-Coast Music, learned how to play them within a couple of months of sloppy practice, and have never gone back. If Seydel stops offering them, I guess I'll have to make my own or switch to chromatic.

I play mostly OTM, bluegrass, gospel and country, with a smattering of pop and jazz thrown in just to keep me struggling. I'm N-O-T a "blues" player, although I have been catergorized as a "blues" player simply because I play diatonics (sometimes even by members of harmonica clubs who should know better). The diatonic is NOT just for and limited to playing "blues." One of the nicest compliments I have gotten from "bluegrassers" is that I do NOT sound like any other harp player they have ever heard! (They must not have much experience with harp players who can play melody AND harmony on a diatonic.)

Anyhoo, that's MY reasons for switching. I get "more bang for the buck" with Circular Tuning than with standard Richter Tuning. Others most probably don't want to get back on the bottom of the learning curve or the purchasing curve.

YMMV,
Crazy Bob

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/