From: Steve Baker <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, November 18, 2009 10:46:33 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Why Richter

In my opinion Richter's idea was a stroke of genius and no other harmonica tuning comes close in terms of simplicity and elegance. Of course it has a great history and we're all familiar with the tonal layout, but the standard Richter tuning can be used for so many different styles of music and is simply the most flexible note arrangement which the 10-hole can accomodate. The chords and tongue-blocked intervals make it much more fun for me than for example circular or diminished tuning. The way the overblows provide all the missing notes is nothing short of fabulous.

I see all the other tunings I use myself as simply variations on Richter. I don't have a problem using overblows, but sometimes things work better with an altered tuning than with OBs. All the same, Richter is the mother lode for me,

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.bluesculture.com