Re: [Harp-L] A couple questions from a beginner

Nate Finch wrote:
<Second question - how important is it to be able to sight-read music?  I can
<read music enough to tell a 16th note b flat from a 1/4 note C, but can't
<read it well enough or fast enough to play from it.  How much should I be
<working on reading and playing from music?   I do want to learn to
<sight-read music, but it seems like it's less important for harmonica
<players than most musicians, or am I just rationalizing?

It's important if your plans include any one of several things:

1) If you have an ambition to be a studio musician, you need to be able to read.  Not all studio gigs involve reading, but many do, including many of the best-paying gigs.

2) If you plan to play complex music that requires either chromatic harmonica or very chromatic playing on diatonic, especially in an ensemble, you should learn to read.

3)  If you plan to be a composer or producer, and so will need to communicate your music to other players, you should learn to read.

4)  If you plan to learn to play music in many different styles, especially formal styles like classical or jazz or celtic, you should learn to read.  It's the fastest way to learn lots of material quickly.

There are plenty of great players who don't read, and a very few musicians have such extraordinary ears that they can learn material almost at first hearing.  That said, if any of the circumstances above apply to you, you should learn to read.

Many community colleges and private teachers offer courses and lessons in sight reading.  There are also many books available on the topic.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter