[Harp-L] Re: Creativity - How to find it

What is the secret
of absolute mastery?
Seek inside your Self!

The simple truth above is expressed (however poorly) in the form of hyaku, a Japanese poetic art form. (Ignore, if you will, the poor quality of this hyaku; it is intended as an example only.)

The basic form in hyaku is a poem of 3 lines, 5 syllables in the first line, 7 syllables in the second line, and 5 syllables in the third line. The point is not necessarily rhyme and not necessarily "obvious" sense. There is often a "hidden" meaning, which causes considerable surprise (perhaps an "Aha!" moment) when it is understood fully.

Rather than the typical Western poetic form which is unlimited in size, the Japanese form severely limits what can be expressed-or does it? Only by focusing tightly on a concrete expression of a thought can you fit something artistic within that strict limitation.

The 12-bar blues form is another restricted form (but only in comparison to other forms of music). You can freely express whatever musical ideas you have, so long as you adhere to the form. Some see the form as a restriction on their creativity; others see it as liberating them to fully explore all of the things that can be accomplished by sharpening the focus within the form. It is simply astounding what creativity can be expressed in just 12 bars!

Is the glass half-empty or half-full?

Another way to think of any form is NOT as a restriction on your creativity, but as a focusing device.

I'm reminded of Robert Persig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." He relates the story of a student who faced creative blocks when it came to writing a simple story about a town. The teacher suggests writing about a particular store. When that doesn't work, he suggests writing about a single brick. Suddenly, the student is filled with all sorts of ideas, which gush forth in a torrent of creativity. (My apologies for paraphrasing; I'm sure I have some of that story wrong, since it's been many years since I learned from this great book.)

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. When the focus is on everything at once, creativity is blocked. When the attention is focused sharply on just one thing, creativity wells up naturally, without being forced.

Going back to that simple(-minded?) hyaku at the beginning, try to think of more than one perspective (meaning) as you try to understand it. It does contain the "secret" of mastery within it, but only for those who can "see."

"There are none so blind as those who WILL not see!"

Are you blind?

Regards,
Crazy Bob