Re: [Harp-L] In which Gus is Summarily Dispatched to Eternal Ignominy

I'll bet you a dollar that somewhere in your blues harp-playing experience
somebody thought you were a poor player with an uneven grasp of music
etiquette. ("Gus")  Surely you didn't burst fully skilled and seasoned upon
the harp scene, having never once made a mistake.

We all were poor players and we all made mistakes.  We were all Gus to
somebody.  I certainly begged / finagled / BSed my way onto a few stages on
which I may not have belonged.

That's how players learn.  There is no reason to insult them.  If a guy is
drunk and obnoxious, that is different.  He's just a garden variety jerk.
But if a guy is a poor player who plays in the wrong key or steps on others'
solos, he's no different than we were at one time.  Give him or her some
encouragement and guidance.  I'll also bet a dollar that a harp player did
that for you when you were struggling.

Pay it forward, brother...

-Rick Davis