Re: [Harp-L] In which Gus is Summarily Dispatched to Eternal Ignominy

I'm guilty. I once Gussed Savoy Brown. Maybe no one here has ever heard of them?
smo-joe

On Nov 9, 2009, at 11:07 PM, chicago bluesman wrote:

Speak for yourself. We are not all Gus. I've never played harp while leaning against the back of the club, in a fantasied oneness with the band. The closest experience I've had to a Gus event is the time I was standing outside of B.L.U.E.S. on Halsted in Chicago, simply holding a harp, and Jerry Portnoy insisted that I play along with the sound of the band inside the club, so he could "have a little taste". I obliged him out on the sidewalk, in the cold, but I felt weird about it. I've seen Gus in action many times, though, have decided he's a quite annoying fellow and have sought to improve the image of harp players by never being a Gus myself. Someday maybe harp etiquette will permit us to bid farewell to Gus, RIP.