Re: [Harp-L] Deliberate Practice

I put great faith in the assertion that skill with no (or minimal) talent trumps talent with no skill. Since I consider myself minimally talented but quite determined, I'm counting on it, actually.

I've been playing harp for just a year and a half. Last summer I worked my way up to an hour and a half of practice a day, but then I burned out and didn't want to practice at all. My practice regimen is as much a work in progress as my actual playing: Ya gotta set a pace you can maintain.

In another context, I came across this most excellent piano pedagogy page:

http://www.serve.com/marbeth/piano.html

Within the site, I particularly recommend the page of "Q&A for all the students and parents/spouses of piano students":

http://www.serve.com/marbeth/consumer_QA.html

My favorites are 123, 179, and 195, plus her short page on practicing efficiently, which talks about allocating parts of a practice session into technique (e.g. scales), harmony, sight reading, literature, and fun(!):

http://www.serve.com/marbeth/efficient_practice.html

I would quote it here, but there's a copyright notice at the bottom, so a link will have to serve.

obHarmonica: Sure, it's about piano, but I have been able to apply much of Ms. Lewis's principles to my harp practice. The "Deliberate Practice" stuff emphasizes focusing and working on the stuff where the most work is needed, but neglects the fun part. I do better with some of each. YMMV, of course.

Elizabeth