Re: [Harp-L] Re: Better draw blocking nose

The note is a draw note, F#.  I notice many players struggle with G on
a C harp, a draw note in close range to F#.  The same players can play
3 blow, G, with no trouble.
The same players can play 2 draw on a G harp, D, with no trouble. The
same players often struggle with 2 draw and 2 draw button in on a C
chromatic, F and F#, respectively.

I am of the belief that the combination of a draw note and the range
of F through G# (just guessing) is difficult.

To help players get a nice 2 draw on a C harp, I explain they are
unintentionally bending.  The basic physics of bending as far as I
understand it is that if you constrict your air, the note goes lower
in pitch.  I then show them my mouth in an AAH position, not bent,
followed by an OOO position, bent.  I ask if they can see how much
smaller the air hole is and then explain that is constricting the air.
 They therefore need to deconstrict their air to produce the opposite
of bending.  I suggest
a lowered jaw, a little of the EEE shape in the lips and breathing in,
not sucking in.

I also explain that sometimes the easy reputation of the harmonica is
not accurate and this is one of the difficult elements of playing
harp.  I suggest they may be in for 3 to 6 months of trial and error
before they have a consistently nice sound on 2 draw.  I explain that
even if 6 months pass and they are still having trouble, this does not
mean that they will never learn.  They just need determination.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com