[Harp-L] B-Radical Update from Jason Ricci

Hi all, thought I would pass along this info for Jason since some Harp-L members might not see it otherwise. Sorry if the line breaks are messed up. I don't have any affiliation with Harrison and haven't pre-ordered any B-Radicals, but it sounds amazing if all these features and production methods work as advertised.

-----------
Hey everyone.
Thanks for your continued interest regarding Harrison Harmonicas and the
B-Radical.

The FINAL reed profile wasn't perfected and set into production until just
weeks ago, additionally the coverplates have been changed slimmed down and
entirely re-shaped into a design more functional, just as loud, super
attractive and comfortable to hand and mouth. These as well as other design
changes have been based on reports from players like Chris Michalek, non-professional
players and our own observations throughout the slow, sometimes tedious
process of repeated prototype production, mailing and testing. Additionally
we have taken into account the most recent achievements and inventions of
other harmonica companies, new building and tuning technology and our
friends and inspiration the B-Rad the independent harmonica customizer as
well.

Using the most advanced computers, rapid prototyping and Stereolithograph
machines has enabled Harrison Harmonicas to increase the speed and
productivity of our design process and trial and error experiments to new
heights.This has been both a blessing and a curse for us! On one hand we can
change and test a reed profile in 30 seconds! On the other hand this makes
the perfectionism and the "What if" factor ten fold!, causing us to never be
satisfied and tinkering like giddy little kids to no end. After near endless
experimentation, we are finally satisfied that the ultimate reed material,
reed shape, and cover design and material are the best they can be possibly
be.

Our ability to change the slightest problem or enhance the most minute
advantage easily and quickly has indeed slowed the process of completion,
yet this same ability has and will assure Harrison Harmonicas a mile marker
in the history of the instrument that will raise the bar permanently from
here on.

We refuse to put out an instrument that will be anything less than what we
have promised and yes, some needed and exciting last minute tweaks to all
parts of the instrument have delayed some progress. We have spent, every
minute of those delays and every work hour of each day, turning over all the
stones, myths, ideas and hopes vocalized by the harmonica community for last
100+ years! For reeds and cover plates: we investigated, built and tested
every imaginable material from beryllium, pre-war brass, titanium,
phospherus bronze, stainless steel, (Yes Randy) carbon etc etc. For comb
materials our investigations were almost as vast and varied alike. we spent
time with each of these material, we tested different shapes and separate
profiles for different materials just to be sure our choices were right and
our investigations complete.

At last I present you the following info you all have wanted. The latter
facts have NOT (despite speculation and rumor) been released until now! It
has been very hard for me to remain silent in chats and on boards but
FINALLY Brad has given me permission to joyfully disclose the following
descriptions:

1.) The Coverplates shape of a B-Radical is best described as a cross
between a Hohner Golden Melody and a PreWar Marine Band. It is rounded
ergonomic and now slimmer and trimmer featuring a bell like projection curve
akin to a Marine Band. They are stronger and more solid than any other
coverplates ever built. They are BLACK NICKEL PLATED with a GUN METAL FINISH
impervious to rust, smooth as butter and sophisticated and breath taking to
the eye.

2.) The Combs are made from the same material as all Harrison and Filisko
custom combs of past, which is a black and Grey CNC'ed composite, impervious
to moisture, swelling, chipping etc... Slick as oil, and with the same
physical vibrational response to the player as a wood comb. They are loud
and easy on the tongue and lips.

3.) The Reeds are our own profile not based upon any past profile that has
ever existed in the past from any company. We have perfected this profile by
dividing the reed into minute sections on a compute ie: A, B, C, and D, then
labeling those sections within A1, A2, A3-8 etc. into almost microscopic
measurements then adding or subtracting metal or mass from each section and
testing one by one until we arrived at our final current design ready for
Dec. THE REEDS ARE MADE OF OUR OWN SPECIAL BLEND OF BRASS. Our secret is not
so much in the material (although we decided after much material testing
that brass IS king) but in how we make them and the caution we use in no
stress production. Our reeds will not require adding wax, nail polish,
arcing or gapping in order to over blow or play well. The overblows and
bends obtained by the player do not hiss or squeal are easier to get than on
any harmonica ever built before. Our reed profile has made this a reality.

4.) Our individually replaceable reeds are made seperatly one at a time for
holes 1-10.

5.) Our system of replacement is of course the same and ill require no
special tools outside of out extremely cost effective individually
replacement reeds and a small screw driver. You will not have to have 20/20
vision to fix these harps or any other tools.

Harrison Harmonicas HAS raised the bar. Given, not every instrument in the
world will suit every player on the planet and all will of course have their
favorites and old standbys (Pun intended). We have sought to create what we
feel is a real and the first professional harmonica made to last a life time
and have you wanting to play it through out your lifetime.
This does not mean that some adept players will not want to set their own
action or arc a reed here or there! We have quite simply designed the most
problem free, easily fixed and in the long run: the ultimately, most
affordable harmonica ever made.

We have tried to make an instrument with all the grounds covered for the
hard blowing blues player or smooth and sweet jazz player (like Chris) but
even the guitar player who purchases a 5,000 dollar Les Paul will certainly
wish to set that instrument up to his own specs. he sax player will replace
the mouthpiece of his new 10,000.00 tenor. We have covered our end of
professionalism some individual tastes indeed remain with the player. We
will encourage and help facilitate you on that journey should you have
questions about what's best for you! And yes we do have people policing the
action and arcing of every reed on every harp produced. I cannot promise
that every instrument forever will be perfect for everyone, we may make
mistakes... this is the nature of creation, however ARE accountable, we WILL
be available, and we WILL fix or replace anything that may ever go wrong
with your investment.

Harrison Harmonica's has take into account all the problems of the past
great manufactures as well as their shining successes and I can say as a
friend of Brad's and a partner in this company that these will be the best
made, best playing harps that have ever been made. I for one, am COUNTING on
it for my own personal playing, needs, future and reputation.
Sincerely

Jason Ricci

--
Jonathan Metts