[Harp-L] What went through ...

Interesting. I think on one level one certainly needs to track the tech stuff, but - assuming one has things set right (amp, gadgets, mics and shoelaces) and aside from switching harps and maybe remembering backing vocal bits - one might just keep listening to the other players, not to determine whether they are doing what one  thinks is right (too late now!), but whether one can do anything to contribute  to the sound and the song and the feeling it is aimed at.

As for me, once I have the melody/hook internalized, my playing is driven largely by the lyrics and story of the number, so, I conjure memories that bring the emotions of the song as I see 'em, without having to think much about it.

Because for me playing isn't so much about getting the song right, it's about getting the feeling right. Now, if I was better technically and knew what the hell I was doing, maybe I'd have a different approach . . .  but if I'm thinking about all that other stuff, man, I ain't playin' worth a crotte de chien!

-Dave "dogwalker" Fertig

Re: [Harp-L] re: what went through...
        	Tuesday, November 3, 2009 11:35 AM