Re: [Harp-L] Anyone figured out Ketch Secor's playing?

On Nov 3, 2009, at 12:24 AM, Matthew Bullis wrote:

Hello, back on the list for maybe the third time in several years. I'm wondering if anyone has tips on Ketch Secor's playing? He's the fiddler and singer for The Old Crow Medicine Show. In this video, he's switching between two harps, though I can't figure out the difference, since it just sounds like cross harp on a D.

This one is easy. He is using the first harp crossed, switching to the second harp STRAIGHT. Watch is cheeks. He's drawing (cheeks sunken) on the crossed harp but blowing (cheeks puffed out) on the high notes of the second harp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU4_eJqDO-s
The song starts about two minutes in or so. I don't know if he ever fiddles during the same song as a harp solo, but I wonder if the sounds he gets can still be achieved with a neck rack?

Why not, the notes aren't magical or anything. I mean, I don't see any mirrors or smoke

smokey-joe

Thanks a lot.
Matthew