[Harp-L] Re: Using the Kinder AFB+

You don't get sumpthin' for nuthin'. It was apparent to me upon reading the description of the AFB+ at Kinder's website before I bought it that "tone" meant "crunch". Unfortunately, that's typically what is meant when describing harmonica amplified tone. So I understood that "natural" tone would be affected to some degree. I searched all over for an original AFB, since it was my understanding that the "+" in what seems to be Gen. 2 of the device denoted the addition of drive or "tone". I was not able to find one.

But I'm still able to get a pretty decent clean tone depending on how I "hit" the harmonica/mic. So I use technique to clean up or drive the sound through the AFB+.

I run the AFB+ really low. The calibration knob is nearly fully off (and like John K, I can still get the light to flicker more than I like), and my adjustment knobs are between 7 and 10 o'clock for either left or right knob. I'm not looking to "go to 'leven." I just want a tad bit more volume. It sometimes seems that the "perfect" volume is just slightly above feedback... funny how that works, eh? Well, that's what I need from the AFB+; to get just a notch (maybe 2) more on the amp volume control. To be honest, it's difficult to understand how anyone could use the sort of volume levels I'm reading about and still have their hearing left. That's NOT my approach to using the AFB+, and it should be said that the device is useful in more ways than just to drive amp volume to outrageous levels.

I can't help but think that perhaps it may be a major crutch in some instances to players who don't quite have correct mic/amp technique. You should be able to get pretty good volume sans AFB+ with proper technique. When I hear guys running to 7, 8 or 9, I've got to wonder if they are just using it to overcome some deficiencies. If you haven't developed proper technique, you'll experience feedback more quickly since you're trying to get volume from the amp alone, and it sounds like (I could be all wet here) if you have to run volume levels that high, you don't understand how to drive volume through resonance and technique. 'Course, I run a Super Reverb that has never been set past 3 (doesn't need to), so this is just a theory; don't flame me, bro.

Someone opined that they are now less concerned with "performance anxiety". (Interesting how the AFB+ is a little blue box, eh?) Not having to worry about the sword of feedback hanging over your head, or where you need to stand or set your amp at a gig makes things so much more relaxing. One less MAJOR thing to worry about. And being able to set your tone controls for the sound you want and NOT having to compromise those settings in order to quell feedback is another great benefit. Not to mention owning the AFB+ has certainly opened up my amp choices.

There are some gigs where I really don't need it, but I run through it anyway. Cuz you never know when things are going to get crazy-go-nuts volume-wise. I just don't have to worry about feedback at all. That's worth the price of the device right there.

I can live with the slight effect the AFB+ has on amplified tone since I can mostly control that effect, plus there are just so many positives to the device that outweigh this.

Ray.
--
My Music – www.resgraphics.com/music
My YouTube – www.youtube.com/raybee127

From: "Brad Hatfield" <BHatfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

When I first bought the AFB+ I didn't like it either. It ate up my tone too. As a matter of fact, it sat unused and on the verge of being sold for the first year and a half that I owned it. Now I love it. One thing to keep in mind is the further down you can keep the knobs on the left and right, the better. My left knob is at 9:00 and the right one is at 2:00. In my opinion (and others I've read) anything past 2:00 on the right knob and you're tone will suffer. Here's something else to keep in mind. Let's say, for example, the amp you're using starts feeding back when the volume is at 6 WITHOUT the AFB+. When you hook up the AFB+ your tone will sound dampened when the volume is between 6 and 7. However, when the volume is between 7 and 8 while using the AFB+ you're tone will be killer. I guess what I'm trying to say is to experiment with higher volumes. IMHO, your best tone is going to come when you're on the verge of feedback whether you're using the AFB+ or not. I'm think!

ing that the clipping and brittleness you're hearing might be low batteries. In my experience, the batteries don't have to be low in a AFB+ to affect you're tone. When the batteries in my AFB+ go bad I take them out and use them in my wireless. Lastly, make sure the AFB + is calibrated correctly.

Hope this made sense,
Brad

------------------------------

From: "John F. Potts" <hvyj@xxxxxxx>

Mr, Kinder himself told me that the AFB+ is designed to produce
"crunch." He actually considered that to be an advantage of some
kind--a good thing. (I don't.) So, if one is trying to set up for a
relatively clean tone, the AFB+ isn't designed to do it and doesn't
do it well. It's not a matter of adjustment.  it's a matter of do you
like distortion in your tone or not.  i suspect those that prefer a
dirtier tone are happier with the sound of the AFB+.  You can
certainly adjust the AFB+ for more or less distortion,  But, in my
experience, you can't adjust it so you have no distortion.

JP .

From: "jkuzloski" <jkuzloski@xxxxxxxxx>

-I just wanted to add that apart from keeping the left knob at 9 and the right knob at noon (I find that usually works just fine -- bumping them up a bit if necessary), I think the calibration knob can be moved counter clockwise from the "instruction position" to get a cleaner sound if desired. (If your mike is really hot, however, you'll get the blue light to flicker even with the calibration knob all the way down.) Just my experience. Also, on another subject, I've used it first in the pedal chain and been very happy with that.
--jk