RE: [Harp-L] RE: poor manufacturing was Suzuki's Fabulus....Rant...

I agree.  For 15 years I happily bought GM's and Spl 20's.  Never had to
tune gap, etc.  Got a lemon once in a while but I was buying them (either
model) for $14 so it didn't bother me that much.  Then for the last five or
so years, the Hohners have been horrible and the cost has kept on rising.
Many in this forum are techie types that truly enjoy tinkering.  I own an
insurance agency, I have three kids and I would rather spend the personal
time I get playing harp in lieu of tuning.  I do have tons of older ones to
practice on and figured it would make great sense to learn how to gap.  The
harps from Hohner weren?t out of tune, they just weren't playable if you
wanted anything other than Oh Suzanna in straight fashion.  Again, in my
discussions with several VERY KNOWLEDGABLE customizers they said if you gap
you need to tune.

No one, Brendan included has any idea of how this guys harp arrived!  And
for everyone that assumed he was at fault and blows too hard or that anyone
having these problems has poor technique is foolish to say the least. I sent
several mic's to a well-known mic guy to get worked on.  One comes back and
has a horrible non grounding type sound, like blow your speakers hiss hum!!
I called and s/w him about it and he was adamant it was a cord, the amp on
and on.  It couldn't have been anything he did or didn't do as the insides
and connections are just too simple and straight forward to be the problem.
Yes, he used sealer when putting in the Switchcraft but "only one out of a
1000 have ever had such a great coating between the connector and the shell
that it caused grounding problems!"  Very sure of himself and lost me as a
future customer because no matter what I said, while holding the mic in my
hand he knew more..so he thought.  Instead of having me send it back so he
could correct, which I said I would he argued and made it seem like I'd be
wasting my time.  I then had Chuck Gurney do a few for me and sent this one
along as well to see if he could check it.  He did what he needed to do,
then actually "TESTED" his work when complete and it did the same thing!
Hummed.  He put a set screw in and I'll be damned problem solved!  Too many
make assumptions and adamantly argue based on ASSUMPTIONS and we all know
what happens when you do that!