Re: [Harp-L] Super Loud Bands

It depends on what you mean by "loud."  My band never plays so loud that
patrons at the venue cannot chat with each other, and staff cannot
communicate with each other and the customers.  But, we do bring a high
enegy show, and people expect some dynamics.  They didn't come to the bar
too hear an acoustic string quartet.

Many of you blame alcohol use by musicians for high volume levels, but it
works the same on audience members.  Sometimes we hear shrieks of "ROCK 'N'
ROLL" from the crowd, which loosely translated means CRANK IT UP!!!

The venues we play almost all have good house sound systems with a good
sound tech running things, so we have no real control over the FOH volume.
In smaller clubs we bring our own sound system and leave it at the levels
set in the pre-show sound check.  If the staff asks us to turn down, we do
with zero complaint or resistance.

Yet, I feel certain there are some people who would complain that we are too
loud.  We play for the venue owners and their patrons, who ultimately
decide what the levels should be, and that may well be too loud for some who
tut-tut about it.  They are welcome to go find that classical string quartet
they prefer.