[Harp-L] Amp>DI box>PA

Some amps (like the SWR Baby Baby Blue bass amp I've been using lately) have an XLR out so you can take a lo-z line out to the PA without a DI box. For long cable runs, (over 25 or 30 feet in length) lo-z is preferable because there's no signal degradation with a lo-z (balanced) signal like there is with a hi-z (unbalanced) signal. Or so I've been told by sound techs who seem to know what they are talking about.

Btw, Rolls makes a nice little passive DI box that's very compact (smaller than a small guitar effects pedal and very light in weight). It's certainly small enough to carry around if you need one.

Once upon a time, when i used to play through an Alesis QuadraVerb GT into the board, I taped a Rolls DI box into the back of my rack case with duct tape so it would be available to use if I had to make more than a 25' run to the board from the Quadraverb (which has hi-z quarter inch inputs and outputs). Never used the Rolls very much, but it's a handy little device.

JP