Re: [Harp-L] Hohner new harp - XB-40 observations and examples

Hi Ron
I am assuming you can do bends on a standard diatonic? I am surprised you are having problems, it just made bending easier for me and I went from there. The standard techniques listed on the various harmonica websites do the trick.

I am still working on technique. I use bends mostly for ornamentation rather than to play chromatically. I can get all the standard bent notes draw bends holes 1-4, 6 and blow 8-10. Also, I can get blow bends on holes 1-4. Can drop a semi-tone and hit a relatively stable note. I can get hole 1 down a tone but it is not stable. It also seems possible to bend most of the other notes a little bit - but not a whole semi-tone. The exception is draw 7, cos the two reeds are only a semi-tone apart. I can lower draw 5 a little bit.

If anyone can explain how the blow reeds and valving interact to lower blow notes on holes 1-4, well that has been bothering me.

If you want all the notes via bending then XB-40 is for you.