Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica sur Cher

Dave and all, sorry for the late response.

The program as it stands today is extremely appealing to me. If this is indeed the last edition of the Festival as has been hinted, what a way to go !!!

On Wednesday evening (May 20th) we will have French rock band *Kwak* (http://www.myspace.com/kwaklegroupe). Kwak is a quirky rock band with a mix of influences from reaggae to punk. They already played the festival back in 2006 and absolutely tore the house down. Frontman Damien Tartarella is a superb diatonic player who really blends the instrument in the whole as opposed to stand above the fray soloing. You can get a feel for their stuff here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5mxe9_kwak-miteux_music. Note that evening will be opened by local bands at the request of Kwak. Even though these bands will most likely not feature harp playing, it's a pretty cool gesture from a well known band on the circuit!

On Thursday evening (May 21st), St Aignan will greet two of the most interesting French harmonica players. Opening the evening will be *Michel Herblin* is somewhat known outside of France for his 90s release Matin aux Pommes which showcased the wonderful sound of his diatonic harmonica. Michel Herblin (http://www.myspace.com/michelherblin) will be accompanied here by the cream of French jazz drummers Andrà Ceccarelli, and a great band of jazz/world musicians.

Michel will be followed by another member of the fine fleur of French diatonic, heavy rock player *Marko Balland* (http://www.myspace.com/markoharp). Marko's claim to fame in the early 00s was a tribute album to Jimi Hendrix which featured his heavy style of playing. He's been back in the circuit for a few years now and recently pre-released his new album Mille et Un RÃveils. His brand of heavy rock is a welcome change from blues based rock harp playing.

On Friday May 22nd, there will be a free concert of classical harmonica and guitar in the afternoon. The duet is *Bruno Rouillà *on chromatic harmonica (http://www.myspace.com/simonrouille) and *Cyrille Simon* on guitar. Their repertoire includes classical and contemporary music, with pieces from FaurÃ, Satie, Fernando Sor, Celso Machado, BÃla BartÃk, Franz Constant and the Buenos Aires Suite composed by Maximo Diego Pujol.

Friday evening is another great night of music with more of a world tinge to it. Opening the evening will be *Bill Barrett* (chromatic harmonica) and *Scot Ray* (slide guitars) with their world jazz duet *Gutpuppet* (http://www.myspace.com/gutpuppet). Bill and Scot play a radical yet hauntingly evocative music that transcends genres and draws from influences literally from around the whole world. In addition, for the harmonica afficionado, Bill's rhythmic playing is something very special and not often heard. Not to mention his harmonetta and sheng playing!

The night will continue in a world mood with *Lavach*. Lavach (http://www.myspace.com/zonelavach) define themselves as progressive fusion folk, which I guess illustrates the fact that even though their music draws heavily on folklore, especially eastern european, it's not confined by roots. Their music can sound very traditional one minute and explode into heavy rock re-reading of the theme the next. The harmonica of Emmanuel Bosser adds an aerial note to the whole.

On Saturday May 23rd we will see no less than four concerts!

During the daytime at the prÃvautÃ, *SÃvane and Manu* (http://www.myspace.com/sevaneetmanu) respectively singer/accordion player and harmonica player from Lavach will perform as a duet, exploring klezmer, greek rebetika and other mediterranean musical genres. The blend of two reed instruments is not an easy feat to achieve, but listen to the samples, they know just how to do it!

Later, the prÃvautà will greet *Nicholas Bacchus* (http://www.nicolas-bacchus.com/), backed by his friends Damien Tartarella (Kwak) and Michel Herblin. Bacchus is a great example of the new Chanson FranÃaise: cynical, provocative and humourous, his style is his own. Over the years, both Michel and Damien have backed him live, and on this unique occasion he will have them both alongside him!

The evening will then follow with two more concerts. The first one will be a wonderful exploration of African rhythms with calabash and n'goni player *Pedro KouyatÃ* and his *Maninka Transe Acoustique* (http://www.myspace.com/pedrokouyate). Pedro Kouyatà has a prestigious carreer backing African musicians like Boubacar TraorÃ. His own group' is a transe project, music that makes you want to danse and forget everything else. He will be backed by top musicians himself, including the wonderful *Vincent Bucher* on harmonia whose credentials in playing African music (as well as blues) are extensive. Vincent came with his own band in one of the early editions of the festival and he's still fondly remembered!

Finally, the festival will be closed by the old and famous blues-rock band Nine Below Zero. You don't present *Nine Below Zero* (http://www.myspace.com/9bz ), but I guess I'll try anyway. A British blues-rock band with a prestigious history going back to the 70s, Nine Below Zero have never compromised. They're still around, doing the same brand of deep-feeling, gutsy blues-rock. Their harp player *Mark Feltham* has played with the best of them including, but not limited to Rory Gallagher. What a show this is going to be...

I'm sorry of this all sound a little promo-ish, but I'm very excited about this year's festival, and if indeed it is the last one, I for one am going to make sure I enjoy it to its fullest! By the way, this list doesn't even mention the masterclasses, informal talks, jamming, etc. that will take place just like it does every year. On the week-end of the Ascension, from May 20-23rd, if you don't know what to do, well this is the place to be!!!

As Christophe noted, all details on www.harmonicasurcher.com

BenoÃt FELTEN
http://www.musicalramblings.com