[Harp-L] Sweet.G.B was I've been asked ...

RD

>>Yeah...actually I take back what I said yesterday about playing SGB. I

played through it last night, and yes, I'd be looking at 11th. <<

>>> martin oldsberg <martinoldsberg@xxxxxxxxx> 24/03/2009 0:18

Not wanting to confuse you -- but there's a case to be made for 11th

pos w/ "Sweet G. B.", if, repeat if, you're going to play the melody.

Since you're not comfortable improvising in jazz (?), the melody and

small melodic improvisations can be a nice shield to hold up before

you. Starting note would be G on C harp, so you're off in 2nd. Surely

more stable bends than 12th and 1st (requires an OB) and 2nd.>>>

Thanks for the tip!

Re-considering, 11th (2nd flat) is a very good choice

but as I was originally promoting 12th (1st flat)

it was precisely to avoiding overblows

So to put a harp where my mouth should be....

I've looked into the possibility of trying it on an M.M.

(actually a smokejoe tuned GM) & the melody sings

Required bends;

"= tone on the 2 hole

'= semi-tone on holes 3, 4 &5

I have made a PDF (available off-list)

with the score & tab

BTW

When the 1st note of Sweet.G.B. is a G on 2 draw,

(C Richter - G MM as in the PDF)

then the resulting tonality will be Bb.

Consider transposition to the 'traditional' key of F

with an MM in D  (G Richter)

The manouche (French Django style gypsies) choose the key of G

therefore an E MM (A Richter) would be needed.

Mox

http://www.youtube.com/user/hokumsheik

Française
http://www.myspace.com/mox_gowland
http://www.myspace.com/newhokumsheiks

English
 http://www.myspace.com/moxgowland
http://www.myspace.com/newhokumshieks

Française / English / Polski / Deutsch / Magyar
http://harmopoint.com