[Harp-L] Retuning reeds

At a recent harmonica workshop in Ballyferriter Co. Kerry Rick Epping
demonstrated to the class how a reed could be tuned down by simple
application near the tip of the reed of a tiny bead of BlueTack.
I would not have believed it if I had not seen it. What is more this "fix"
seems to be reasonably long lived if not interfered with.
Lowering the pitch of a reed by filing or chiseling the root seems like a
bad idea to me as it introduces a stress raiser at the most highly stressed
part of the reed and must surely shorten the reed's life.
Beannachtaí
Aongus Mac Cana