Re: [Harp-L] Re: Kudos

Richard Hunter wrote:
christelle wrote:
<please  consider that it has
<been a good while now that Hohner is producing  probably the worse
<quality harmonica right out of the box ever  made...
<
<But let's face it, buy a  Seydel (my turn) or a Suzuki
<in a regular shop and you'll understand that Hohner is not taking
<their customers seriously.

Christelle,

First, a historical perspective: your comment that Hohner's current instruments are the worst ever made is simply untrue. Hohner's quality has improved enormously since the 1980s, when I switched to Lee Oskar harps because of their superior quality control (not to mention that I liked the sound, too). I still play mostly Lee Oskars, but I make a point of picking up Suzukis, Seydels, Bushmans, Hohners, etc. every so often to see what I might be missing. I haven't found anything yet that inspires me to drop the Oskars, but I have also found that Hohner's instruments are generally of decent quality in terms of price for performance. I have used Special 20s on a number of recording sessions for clients, and I'm sure I will do so in future. The Hohner CX12 is my favorite chromatic, and likely will remain so (although I have to admit that Gregoire Maret's sound on the Suzuki has got me interested).

With due respect, are you not an endorsee for Seydel harmonicas? If that's so, then an objective observer might be justified in thinking that your endorsement by Seydel colors your opinion on the matter of Hohner's quality. I am a Lee Oskar endorsee since 1986, and any comments I make on the Oskars, or any other brand, must be considered in that light, just as Steve Baker's comments must be viewed in light of his employment by Hohner, and Brendan Power's in light of his employment by Suzuki. I cite Steve and Brendan specifically because these are musicians I admire as players of the highest caliber and persons of the highest character. It's worth noting that neither Steve nor Brendan ever slams the competition on this list.

Regards, Richard Hunter
latest mp3s and harmonica blog at http://mysopace.com/richardhunterharp

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com