[Harp-L] Broken reeds etc

My impression is that Steve was commenting on the advertising claim that Seydel makes about the longevity of their stainless steel 1847 reeds. How we went from there to Hohner bashing is confusing to me. "the worse quality harmonica right out of the box ever made" That's a very strong statement. I'll consider it to be hyperbole because it simply isn't true. I think it's wonderful that Seydel has experienced a resurgence with their new ownership. Their innovations especially availability of custom tunings are a blessing to the harmonica community. That nobody ever complains vociferously about Seydel is I think more an indication of the politeness of this list and and overall cultural constraint here. Hohner for whatever reason has become a target. It's simply acceptable to bash them. To Christelle, I'm happy you've found a harmonica line that works well for your playing style. Your disappointments with the recent Hohner production must have been vexing. Nobody likes to spend their hard earned monies on instruments that do not work for them.

I will append my subjective opinion here. I've bought 2 recent production Hohners. A Marine Band Deluxe in the key of A and a low Eb Special 20. The Deluxe was superb out of the box and even better customised. The low Eb was very nice and it remains completely stock and I use it on a regular basis. Very small sample size. I have 6 Seydels. I liked them initially. I don't really play any of them on a regular basis these days. I haven't been able to make the adjustment to the different reed profiles and comb hole sizes. I will be buying more Seydels. The 12 hole combs have me intrigued. Oh I have bought some SBS Hohners recently. They are always superb. I know a lot of people have trouble with this model and claim that they are sieves. This just hasn't been my experience. The SBS line has been the most consistent of any of the stock Hohners I've bought over the last decade and a half. I have never ever broken a reed in an SBS. They drift in tuning after a very long time but they don't die. I actually had Pat Missin retune a hard used F SBS to F# and I am still using this harmonica untouched since then 5 years later. I'm nobody and I have no endorsement agreements with anyone. fjm