[Harp-L] RE: How far can a reed be retuned?

Robert Hale, "the Duke Of Wail" asked:

> How far can you go with a reed? Do you get more
> distance (pitch change) out of LOWERING a reed than
> RAISING? (Lowering a reed surely seems to come faster
> than filing away the fat, double-thick tip of a low
> reed.)

A.C. suggested using duct tape for a temporary adjustment.>
Clayton Gary Lehmann suggested using silver solder.>
The problem with material removal is a weakening of the reed, whether at the tip or at the reed seat. If you play with hard attack or forceful breaths, you will probablyblow out the reeds faster than you will like.
I've also used silver solder to retune a complete harp. Iretuned a Hohner Special 20 in "C" to a Circular Tuned "D".I had to raise some notes and lower others. If the reed pitch change was 1 whole tone or less, I removed material.On larger changes, I used silver solder. The first couple ofreeds, I put too much solder on the reed. (If raising thepitch, I put solder near the reed seat; for lowering the pitch,I put solder on the reed tip.) The change in pitch was about6 halftones, even with what I thought was a small amount of solder. It actually takes very little solder to get a large pitch change. You'll have to experiment to use the properamount to get the pitch close to where you want it. I ran a very small bead of solder down the center of the reed, stayingwithin a third of the reed length on the end with the solder. I tried to use a little extra, and then use my rotary grinder and files and emery board to smooth out the solder and get it right on pitch.
Of course, if you want to save some effort (and you have the money and a couple of weeks to wait) , simply order one from Seydel. They will use original reeds at the proper pitchto build your special tuning. The additional price for a customdesigned harp is very reasonable. The Solist Pro 12 price is$69.95 for either the Low or stock version; a configurabletuning (like Four Key) is only $99.95. For $30.00 extra, you get a harp that is factory designed to meet your requirements.You can then spend your time making minor adjustments tofit your playing style.
The new Harp Configurator is drop-dead simple to use for altered tunings. Refer to:
http://www.seydel1847.de/epages/Seydel.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=522126

The Four Key tuning is a stock tuning for Seydel. All you have to do is pick the key and specify the tuning (Just, Compromise, or Equal Temperament). VOILA! Your own special tuning, withouthaving to worry about the longevity of the reeds.
The Harp Configurator can be configured for the following models:
SessionSolist ProSolist Pro 12 (12-hole; might be best for Four Key tuning)FavoriteFavorite Black1847 (stainless steel reeds with wood comb)1847 Silver (stainless steel reeds with plastic comb)
Good luck!Crazy (but not enough to manually retune all my harps by hand) Bob

Internet Explorer 8 – Now Available. Faster, safer, easier.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/141323790/direct/01/