Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Ode Challenge Revisited (was Augmented)

SmoJoe writes (snipped):

"What I have always done was to take a tune and envision the singer
(or instrumentalist) who did this tune the BEST. By best, I mean the
person whom was most successful with the tune. In other words, THEY
made the tune popular OR did it better than anyone else. Why? Well,
think about it. IF it were the most popular version, that must mean
that it appealed to more people than previous versions.

Ergo: If it  WAS more popular, that means more people liked it, Thus
you will have  a better chance of success with it as it is already
shown (maybe not  proven) to be a success.

LeOne"

This is Great! ...Monsieur The One. ;)    (I did hope  that sooner or later
you'd finally admit you were one of a kind <G>)

....because it's how I've consistently approached my playing, on harmonica
or keyboard.  It's always about the song and the vocalist for me...and the
version of it I liked the best (although we do differ a bit as to whether  it
should be the version most popular, since my personal tastes do  tend to differ
with the taste of the 'majority', more often than not.

An example is: Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah vis-a-vis the original
by Leonard Cohen. I'm firmly on the side of its creator, although today his
backup singers do most of the melody while he more or less speaks his part.
Doesn't matter. At 74 with his voice becoming more gravelly with time, he still
has the power to move me.

Yet for many other songs, a much later cover/arrangement might be the one I
hear in my head as I play, and if I can achieve anywhere close to what I  hear
....It's enough.

I have a different approach to instrumentals. Can't explain at all how  I get
those...but it isn't about positions//keys....more all about  feeling/hearing
the music and trying to make it come out of the harmonica as I  hear the
music inside my head.

Your chromatic (and diatonic) playing is light years (nay, Centuries!)
beyond mine although I keep hoping some of your mentoring will still rub off on  me
at some point in time, despite your being a tongue-blocker and my absolute
inability to play that way.  I truly am so very grateful that you think
there's enough innate talent there for me to be worthy of your time.   Hopefully at
this next SPAH I might just be brave enough and get a  small opportunity to
show what I've learned from Mr. Le-One.

Elizabeth

"What I have always done was to take a tune and envision the singer
(or instrumentalist) who did this tune the BEST. By best, I mean the
person whom was most successful with the tune. In other words, THEY
made the tune popular OR did it better than anyone else. Why? Well,
think about it. IF it were the most popular version, that must mean
that it appealed to more people than previous versions.

Ergo: If it  WAS more popular, that means more people liked it, Thus
you will have  a better chance of success with it as it is already
shown (maybe not  proven) to be a success.

LeOne

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219619459x1201345309/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
%3D62%26bcd%3DMarchfooterNO62)