Re: [Harp-L] Reed Replacement Tool

I've alway's used a finishing nail until recently. I took a punch and made the tip smal enough for the rivit
with a grinder. I just place the reedplate on an old wood comb with the comb slots there to protect the
reeds. Slight whack with the hammer and viola. I wish I bought one of FR Ferrel's tools while they were still
available. Anyone have one they want to part with ?????

Scooter

I was wondering what tools to use for removing dead single reeds. I've been exchanging single reeds for a couple of years and up till now used the de-riveting tool that harponline sell. It's a bit like a pair of pliers with length of slim steel on one of the jaws that fits into a hole on the one opposite side and it makes it very easy to pop the rivets out, I think Seydel sell the same bit of kit. The problem is I've managed to break off the slim steel piece and a replacement tool is sixty euros and a week in the post.

So I was wondering about using a slim centre punch and giving the rivet a tap and free the old reed that way but i'm a bit nervous about buckling the plate. I don't have a vice but I've got an aluminium comb I could rest on which I could see working for the diatonic reed i need to replace but i also need to replace a reed in a CX12.....

What do people think?

Thanks

Bill