Re: [Harp-L] amp for chromatic?

Neil Warren wrote:
<I'm looking to buy an amp to play chromatic jazz through. I want a clean sound. I certainly don't like <playing the chromatic through my tube amp (used for playing blues).
<For the chromatic I use the PA when I can, but sometimes it's not available & I figure that it might be <better to use my own amp & line-out to a PA.
<I'd like a few effects, certainly reverb & perhaps delay. I'm not looking to spend too much.

For a clean sound, the best choice is a keyboard amp or a small PA.  Either will give you the features you're looking for.  A keyboard amp is basically a self-contained PA system anyway.

Good bets for keyboard amps include Peavey and Roland.  The Peavey amps tend to be lower priced for a given level of power output, but the quality is still good.  I recommend something with a 10" or 12" speaker at least; a new unit in that range will run you from $250-$350.  To these names we can add Yamaha and Mackie for small PA systems.

Make sure the keyboard amp or PA you choose has at least one XLR input, a 3-band EQ, a line out or preamp out, and digital effects including delay and reverb.  If digital effects aren't available on your preferred model, look for an effects loop so you can add your own effects device.  (A Lexicon MPX200 runs about $200 new, and the reverbs and delays in that box are to die for.)

Finally, before you make a buying decision, check the user reviews on harmonycentral.com.

Regards, Richard Hunter