Re: [Harp-L] Audix Fireball V with vocals

Denny Noreikas wrote:
<I'm considering buying a new harp mic but am curious as to whether
<the Audix Fireball V will also work as a vocal mic.  I would like to buy
<something capable of both harp and vocals (just some back-up vocals,
<not lead) if necessary.
<
<Would like to stay in the $130 or less range.  Any advise appreciated.

Both the Fireball V and the Shure 545SD fall in your price range.  I could recommend either--I own both and use both. No single mic does everything brilliantly, and it would be very helpful to know what kind of sound you want on the harp and on your vocals.

On harp, the 545SD has more low-end punch than the Fireball V.  The 545 also puts out a lot more distortion in the high register with a harp than the Fireball V--not my favorite kind of distortion, either--and has a high-frequency "bump" that's intended to help vocals cut through a band, but can be troublesome when you're playing harp through a PA.

The Fireball has very little dynamic mic proximity effect, meaning that--unlike mics such as the Shure 545--it doesn't get louder in the bass frequencies as the sound source gets closer to the mic capsule.  That's one reason why the Shure punches harder in the low end--it's got the proximity effect kicking in when you cup the harp to the mic.  Some singers like that effect, some don't.

I personally find that the Fireball sounds great on almost everything, including amped stuff.  Most of my amped recordings in the last two years have been made on the Fireball, and you can hear the results for yourself at http://myspace.com/richardhunterharp.  But like I said above, no single mic does everything equally well, and the real question is, what's the sound you want?

One thing's for sure: don't get a bullet-type mic if you plan to sing through it too.  Some musicians use the bullet for vocals as a kind of special effect, but it's not what most people want to hear all night long.

Regards, Richard Hunter