[Harp-L] Teaching Positions

There seem to be two threads going on.  The age-old need theory or
don't need theory argument and the original question - How do you
teach positions?

For the first 2 years of playing I knew no theory and played by ear.
I had feeling and was able to create enjoyment for myself and the
audience.

For the next 13 years of playing I knew a limited amount of theory.  I
played mostly by ear.  I had feeling and was able to create enjoyment
for myself and the audience.

For the last 8 years I have known a lot about theory.  I play mostly
by ear. When I hear a note in my head I am able to recognize whether
or not that note fits in with the standard theory for that chord
progression.  If it does not, I can choose whether or not to challenge
the listener with a note that do not often hear.   I have feeling and
I am able to create enjoyment for myself and the audience.

In my opinion, there are great left and right brained players and
being aware of theory does not restrict feeling or ability to play by
ear in the slightest.

On the other side, I have met MANY players who learn blues scale notes
by imitating records and will play those notes when accompanying ANY
style of music, contributing to the rumor that harp players know
nothing about music and it is unwise to play with one.

I do believe that theory helps you communicate with other musicians
who know theory.  More communication, more possibilities.

I also believe theory helps you to exponentialize your ideas.

The original question is how to teach students positions.  It is a
process that I teach over MANY lessons.  It may take a year for a
student to really understand, but when they do, they can teach
themselves any position.

First I begin by showing the diatonic harp is a fully chromatic
instrument.  Since it can play any note, it can play in any key.

Then I say the two easiest keys on a C harp are C and G.  C is mostly
blowing, G is mostly drawing.  I show where C and G major chords are
on a C harp and explain this chord is the most commonly played chord
in the keys of C and G, respectively.  Focus on notes in the chord,
play on key.  We play some in each key.

Then I have all my students purchase a C chromatic harp.  I explain
how to figure out a major scale by showing the distances between the
notes of a C major scale as measured by half steps and whole steps.  I
have them write out all 12 major scales in chromatic harp tab and have
them play the scales.

I explain the circle of fifths and how position names are based on
relationships to the harps key as measured by fifths.  I explain how
1st and second position, third on a G harp are G and D, A.  I  pick a
harp and have them tell me the position keys.

I have them transpose Mary had a Little Lamb from 1st to second
position  using scale degree relationships.

I then have them write out the G, C and D major scales in all 3
octaves of a diatonic.  Then I explain modes and have them write out
the mixolydian and dorian modes for G, C and D on the diatonic.   Then
I do the same for the blues scale.

Then we learn 3 cross harp songs note for note.  We discuss the theory
of those songs.  We talk about playing notes in the IV and V chords
and IV and V scales while the rhythm section plays those chords.

I teach them the most commonly played minor scales.  I have them play
those scales one by one in every key on a chromatic.  After each scale
is played, we jam using that scale.

We do the same on diatonic for positions 1 thru 5 and 12th.

We arpeggiate I IV and V major and minor chords in every key on
chromatic.  We jam after every arpeggiation.  We do the same on
diatonic for positions 1 thru 5 and 12th.

So far, every student who has gone thru that process with me
understands positions and is able to play in performance situations.

Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com