Re: [Harp-L] Ireland

Hi Robert
Speaking more of Scotland than Ireland, the music scene and the composition of sessions is enormously varied. If you are asking about traditional music sessions, then to be honest these can be quite daunting and competitive in nature some places and unless you know dozens of traditional tunes and can play them fluently at high speed, you are best advised to play rhythm. This can be quite educational. If you make the other musicians sound good, then they might ask you to lead on a tune, but they would rather hear one of yours played very well than one of theirs played indifferently. Other sessions are much more varied and broadminded in terms of what they play, and the quality of musicianship is much more varied too...

Have fun
Richard