Subject: [Harp-L] foam for harp case

That sounds good, Tom.  Like SmoJoe I really enjoy being  innovative...making
things for myself and first trying to use what I have  around the house as
harp-paraphernalia or at least being as frugal as possible  before spending big
bucks where it isn't necessary. That way I can buy  custom harps when the time
is right ;)

The idea of covering the foam with fabric wasn't mine....Tom Baehr  from the
Slidemeister board mentioned his wife had lined a cigar box case  with foam
and then glued crinkled velvet over it as a special holder for a  single
chromatic for him....it stuck in my mind.  Great minds clearly think  alike <G>

...the site posted by Zig (Don Zeller) (mentioning the pluck foam  for toy
soldiers)....also carries a special foam spray adhesive. I've  already bought a
tacky spray adhesive for fabrics which I'd probably try first  though.

_http://www.carrycasesplus.com/glue-1-p29856.html_
(http://www.carrycasesplus.com/glue-1-p29856.html)

I'm interested enough to give your approach a shot if my pick and  pluck
doesn't work as well as I'd hoped, since the foam block I've  been using in my
train case did shred a lot (thanks to my chopping it  up badly in a rush). My
only excuse is that I was cutting it at  midnight  - no 'measure twice, cut once'
this time, ;) before an early  morning flight to Buckeye ...going on two days
with almost no sleep,  and simply too tired to dig out the electric carving
knife.

For the chromatics, I merely made a slit in the lower level (hinging  the
foam halfway)...pushing 3 CX-12's into the slits.  It held  them firmly. The 4th
CX and the Super 64 fit into the top layer, along  with the 10 or so diatonics
standing on end.... it was very tough to get them  back out, ergo my reason
for ordering the pick and pluck afterwards.

 Thanks for the information on your case.  One way or another  I'll have a
lighter weight and much better functioning harp bag which is still  small and
'cool' for my next trip, and which will have cost me a fraction  of the major
'gig' cases. I'm not a professional player, so don't see  the need to have for
myself the kind of case which will withstand the rigors of  stage life. They
simply aren't a necessity for me,  especially since my shoulder injury and need
for a small, lightweight but rugged  case I can fit into my carry on for plane
travel.

I have the case, now it's just a matter of making it work.

Elizabeth

"Message: 3