Re: [Harp-L] Allegedly rubbish?

On 08.03.2009, at 11:48, Richard Hammersley wrote:

I agree about the basic quality Steve;

I'm relieved

but from the gripes and complaints on harp-l you would think otherwise.

The popular sport of Hohner bashing never seems to go out of style ....

In the 1970s and 80s I used to be able to get a harmonica out of tune in a few weeks and went through them quickly (Marine Bands or Blues Harps) nowadays, they last ages (mind you I play better).

This is largely a consequence of the new reed profiles, which have definitely extended reed life. I'm sure your playing helps too.

Not all of them overblow easily, but overblows are not the beginning and end of everything. Moreover, the airtight set up for overblows affects other aspect of tone in my (limited) personal experience and, listening to the great overblowers, I can hear that their tone is limited in certain ways too, because of the constraints of playing. Overblow is sort of like traditional jazz guitar - even flowing tone and technique, horn like sound. A less 'tight' harp can give wilder tonality, more like rock guitar.

I'm of the same opinion and always set up my harps to rock rather than to overblow perfectly

Yes, despite his often wild playing, I think this applies even to Jason Ricci, yes and to Howard Levy also. Excommunicate me now guys.

As for the drive to customise - if one is sufficiently expert and has the time, then great. But in my view less advanced players do not necessarily need to go there. Perhaps it may even be a bad idea.

I understand what you mean and of course all harps should be playable out of the box, but playability is rather like beauty, namely in the eye of the beholder. It's difficult to manufacture tens of thousands of perfectly set up instruments in today's industrial harmonica production and I therefore see learning to tune and offset as not basically dissimilar to learning to tune a guitar and adjust the action - something which from a certain point onwards you really do need to learn. This has little to do with what is generally understood by "customising" and falls more under "basic maintenance" as far as I'm concerned. Tedious but necessary.

Is it better to begin to learn keyboards on a concert grand piano, or on a basic electronic keyboard? It is far easier to get something out of the latter to begin with.

Dunno, most beginning musicians who have the good fortune to start on a good instrument don't regret it and often progress more quickly. See the animated discussion on Harp-L about the merits of custom harps for players of all levels of ability.

Moreover, another thing in my experience with the generally wonderful modern harps is that I actively enjoy the different feel of different instruments. But I do not seek that 'one perfect sound'.

Enjoy!

Steve

Richard