  From: EGS1217@xxxxxxx
  To: cdgaldos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, March 07, 2009 3:40 PM
  Subject: Subject: [Harp-L] Too many excuses

  Abner...trust me. You're not alone.

  I've been going through a lot of medical 'issues' over the last few years..which really get in the way of my harmonica playing/learning curve/bravery about playing 'out'.

  I would like to get out and go somewhere where I might get some practice playing for an audience...but there's always 'something' related to real life which seems to get in the way...(right now extensive physical therapy for a shoulder injury, so I do understand exactly what you're saying in your response to Rainbow Jimmy).

  All that's available to me too (as far as I know) within driving distance in my general area are 'biker-type' bars where very intimidating guys hang around outside and where one might hear blues, possibly..in between the heavy metal music...(whether or not that encompasses harmonica I don't really know).  As a woman, it's a bit out of my bailiwick since I'm not much of a drinker and not overly connected to that kind of music anyway...being a chromatic player who'd prefer playing or spending those evenings I could get out, at a more jazz-oriented venue. Haven't found one yet...but I do know that pain and inertia can definitely hold a person back, your own or a loved one's.

  In Florida where you live, however...there does seem to be availability to different 'pockets' of harmonica interest....along with several harmonica clubs..SPAH has a list of them.  Try doing an online search...beginning in your local neighborhood...then widening it...finding out if there are any teachers who might be willing to come to your home while you're still recuperating, or connecting up with members of a harmonica club who could give you materials to study....you never know.

  here's a link to many online Blues Societies:

  http://www.blues.org/affiliates/societies.php4

  Don't give up...you're at the very beginning of this journey. I'm just starting my own diatonic journey as well and am quite excited at the prospect.

  Elizabeth

  Message: 13