Re: [Harp-L] re: mind and improvisation

If you don't feel comfortable, you don't play comfortably.

True. I think what practice can get you is a much wider range of comfortable. That and an ability to recover or correct. We sometimes play out with a guitarist. She has an extraordinary ability to play with just about anyone. She plays with a band (not her band) I will not sit in with. The rhythm section is too choppy for me. She makes it work. She has a much wider range of comfortable than I currently have. A lot of what we discuss here is about creating comfortable on a stage. Fussing with amplifiers, Seydel vs Hohner, altered tunings, chromatic or diatonic, sound pressure levels on stage, what mic, how to practice, how much practice, standard notation vs winging it etc. Oddly something so broadly common to playing in any setting, comfort, is also the core of much disagreement here because of course what makes any one person comfortable on a stage is subjective and personal as well as plastic and situational. Being uncomfortable playing is also uncomfortable. Personally it makes me somewhat insecure and defensive. It's also a subject that can be more than a little scary to talk about in a large group because you are dealing with insecurities and feelings. fjm