[Harp-L] Re: why I loved busking

I started my musical career as a street musician with a jugband named
Have Mercy in London in 1975 and learned an enormous amount about
performance and projection as well as stopping the traffic, being
moved on by the police and having a load of good times with the most
varied people. Performing on the street can certainly teach you
things which you'll never learn in music school!

  My friend and long-time colleague in BluesCulture, Abi Wallenstein
(see www.bluesculture.com), who's an iconic figure on the European
blues scene, got into playing on the street through us and still does
it whenever he has time. We occasionally play on the street when on
tour if the weather's nice and we have a couple of hours to while
away in a town with a suitable pedestrian precinct. The great thing
about this is that the only way to make people stop, listen and pay
is through the conviction and musical merit of your performance. They
have no preconceptions and usually don't know you from Adam. One tip
I'd seriously recommend is to get a pretty girl to go round with a
hat (actually a drawstring bag is much more practical) from the
moment you start playing. It's fine to put out your guitar case or
whatever, but you'll earn at least twice as much if an attractive
female person asks people directly and from the word go. It's a
hustle, but it definitely works,

Steve

Steve: What a cool story. It reminds me of a story/song by the late Long John Baldry. In his narrative song "Don't try to lay no boogie-woogie on the king of Rock=N=Roll" He tells the story of busking in the So-Ho district in London where he is busted by the policemen with a deep "East End" Accent - dropping his "h's and all dat and if trying to explain his music before a magistrate.
Did you ever meet Long John Baldry in your travels
PS I love your Steve Baker special in the Key of "C"

Database version: 5.11860