[Harp-L] Re: why I loved busking

Thanks David Brown, nice post! I can relate to that.

I started my musical career as a street musician with a jugband named Have Mercy in London in 1975 and learned an enormous amount about performance and projection as well as stopping the traffic, being moved on by the police and having a load of good times with the most varied people. Performing on the street can certainly teach you things which you'll never learn in music school!

My friend and long-time colleague in BluesCulture, Abi Wallenstein (see www.bluesculture.com), who's an iconic figure on the European blues scene, got into playing on the street through us and still does it whenever he has time. We occasionally play on the street when on tour if the weather's nice and we have a couple of hours to while away in a town with a suitable pedestrian precinct. The great thing about this is that the only way to make people stop, listen and pay is through the conviction and musical merit of your performance. They have no preconceptions and usually don't know you from Adam. One tip I'd seriously recommend is to get a pretty girl to go round with a hat (actually a drawstring bag is much more practical) from the moment you start playing. It's fine to put out your guitar case or whatever, but you'll earn at least twice as much if an attractive female person asks people directly and from the word go. It's a hustle, but it definitely works,

Steve