Subject: [Harp-L] Amp or Peddlen (Wife needs your help)

Dear Mrs. Abner Blue Eyes:

You know about me already - I'm the 'E' Abner paid such a nice compliment
to recently onlist. We've talked offlist quite a bit about our mutual neck
issues. I do feel for him. He's a really decent guy and you're a peach for
wanting to do this for him.  Finding music and harmonica as a hobby at this
stage of our lives is incredibly fulfilling.

That said, unless you really can get the Kalamazoo 'Splash' just referred
for your maximum cut-off price, I'd suggest maybe making sure he has a few
more harps in his kit bag (or harp case) if he doesn't already? Most people
who begin to play accumulate harps in more than one key -- several in fact.
He  has the great mic already, can play that through any PA system and
actually  doesn't need a real amp to get tone which comes from the
player....practice,  practice, practice (what they call wood-shedding here) is the name
of the game.  Having a few good harps is what keeps me happy, anyway - though
I'm sure that as  far as Blues are concerned, Abner is already far ahead of
me.

What I did early on (although I don't play 'out' yet -and the couple of
times I have I simply played through a PA system), is to pick up a mini twin
fender - a wee baby amp :)

It costs so little, is great for practice at home, is portable and  I've
even fit it into my carryon for air travel.  So it works for me  (so far), the
rare times I've used it.

Here's one link to the one I have:

_http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-57-Mini-Twin-Amp?sku=4811
34#new_
(http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-57-Mini-Twin-Amp?sku=481134#new)

I guess it's similar to his micro-cube except mine was even less expensive?

Whatever you decide, DON'T rush into it.  $300 is a lot of money if  it's
your top end and you're making sacrifices for it ...and he might change his
mind down the road. For someone with cervical spine issues, the weight of
the  amp has to be a big factor as well.

 Despite his impatience  - and Abner is an impatient man ;) he  might have
to grit his teeth and take just a bit more time scoping out what  really
will work for him in the long run before committing himself fully....an  Amp
can be a very large investment. So using the smaller amp for practice at  home
seems the most logical step at this point, while perhaps adding to his
harmonica collection if he doesn't have all the keys he likes to play in.

Just my two cents - he'll probably disagree and so will others here.

Either way, he'll have fun. Bottom line, all a real harmonica player truly
needs to get better is a harmonica and lots of time to practice (and an
appreciative audience).  Seems he has that already. :)

Much Good luck to you.

Elizabeth

"Message: 1