[Harp-L] Re: customizers/techs (from the other side)

It's funny to see this discussion come up on list because we techs tend to talk to each other privately about the business
and sometimes the custom/repair that has gone awry We know each other and no matter how good,
have worked on each others harps from time to time. You try us out like you try out harps or
gear.

I contact other techs sometimes if there is something unusual about their setup ie. tuning scheme, gapping, custom parts etc..
I had one customer who was shocked to find out I contacted the maker of his custom. I told him we network and understand that others will work
on our harps from time to time. I had a question the customer couldn't answer so contacted the source.

There are times customers will do work on their custom harps then send them to other techs for repair later. Trust me, we know. ;-)

You need to know what your customizer specializes in. Don't go to a steak restaurant expecting good fish and don't go to a fish restaurant expecting a good steak.
We can't be everything so we specialize. Some work on diatonics only, some chromatics, some orchestral harps, some altered tunings and overblow set ups. A very few have the time to work on all of them and be an expert on all of them. We sometimes direct our would be customers to other techs because we feel they might do a better job or be better at understanding the customers needs. Other times we are just too darn busy or need a break and pass the work on to fellow techs. The guys that have been in it a long time have no problem passing on work. We've let go of that part of the ego that tells us we can fix or build anything.

All techs have their good and bad days at the bench. Sometimes our best isn't good enough because the reeds in question just won't let us show our best or the customer had higher hopes for the outcome given their playing ability. We might be able to fix or improve 85% of the problem and by chance the last 15% is fixed by the next tech. So you give the next tech 100% of the credit when 85% of the problem was taken care of for him. If you have been using a customizer/repair tech for awhile and they have been doing a decent job don't give up on them for not meeting an expectation.

Unless there is some gross rip-off by the tech don't run a campaign against him. Move on. Techs stand by each other when we know each others abilities and so do their loyal customers. Voicing your complaint on a list group may backfire and scare other techs from wanting to do business with you. You may have been that 1 in 100 this year that couldn't come to terms with their tech no matter who is to blame. It happens. Move on. I'm sure it's as much a bad experience for him as it was for you.

Every tech out there whether newbie or seasoned wants to please the customer. It won't happen 100% of the time.

Unlike designing automobile motors to perform better and better, work on stock reeds has it's limits. It doesn't take a lifetime to know how to improve upon that one thing or become an expert. . It isn't reserved for a select few of us to master that ability then keep getting better and better so others can't obtain an equal ability.
The only way to move past that is to redesign a reed like Brad Harrison has done. But even then his reeds will only have a finite number of ways to improve upon it if at all possible.

There are 2 truths in the world. Even the most beautiful women in the world are someone's ex's.
And even the best harp techs in the world have their ex's. No one is perfect in a relationship, even those we put on a pedestal.

mike