[Harp-L] ERIFAHS whiskey test preliminary results released to public

A while back, I said The Elk River Institute for Advanced Harmonica Studies  would test the historical feasibility of soaking a harmonica in whiskey, as the old timers did, just to see how good an option it was back in the day.

Well, I soaked one, left a control, pre 2006 unsealed nailed Seydel Solist, in some Early Times for 15 minutes. After sitting on a shelf for a couple months, the control is OK. The whiskey soaked reedplates are loose on the comb, the comb swelled enough that it pushed the nails out and it leaks.

So round 1 goes to not soaking in whiskey. We'll see what happens when I get time to drive the nails in and see what we have. The Institute has additional nailed Solists to use to in further experiments, such as playing regularly after soaking, etc.
This is important stuff we're doing and junk.
Dave

www.elkriverharmonicas.com