  From: Bill Hines
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:25 AM
  Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re:Help!Yay. I wasn't going to be the one to say it but I couldn't agree more. If
  people are going to enjoy the music and this isn't some type of open jam
  meant to foster people just learning, I'd wait until you have some
  reasonable degree of proficiency. Not only will it be bad for the audience,
  but the experience could completely turn you off to this. This can be a very
  embarrassing and uncomfortable experience, especially if you are making
  experienced musicians sound bad and start getting that GLARE from some of
  them in the middle of the song (there will always be one or two who
  encourage you, but others who will be really pissed). And when you look out
  at the audience and see them laughing or looking at each other like 'WTF" it
  can be really crushing.
  Now, having said that, there are some folks who just don't give a damn and
  will jump up there and have no shame or ego and just honk and hoot to their
  own amusement and delight, oblivious to the pain they are inflicting and the
  image they are projecting of the instrument and themselves. I see this all
  the time. In their own ears they are maestro, perfecto.
  My approach was to spend some time learning the basics, with instructional
  material (tons of fantastic stuff out there), learning to play with other
  musicians first by using jam tracks, and *then* start to play at the local
  jam (where the audience to some degree is buying into the fact that they
  will hear some good stuff and some bad stuff), but always in the earlier
  night sets where the newbies and experienced folks that give back by
  fostering them tend to play.
  Bill