[Harp-L] RE: Help!

I regularly jam publicly with a group that includes pros and semi pros.
There are some really great musicians in our group.  I am not one of them.
I am so far over my head with these guys that I sometimes wonder what I am
doing playing at all.  I wouldn't presume to offer you advice on playing the
harp but I will tell you what I would do based upon my very limited
experience:

1.  Talk to the band leader and ask him exactly what he wants from you.  You
wouldn't have been asked to play if you didn't have something to offer so
try to clarify what they actually want from you and then do it.
2.  Less is more for most harp players.  Ask for the play list and figure
out how to play a little quiet fill on appropriate numbers.
3.  Get your signals straight.  Work out how the vocalist or band leader
will let you know in no uncertain terms when you're on.
4.  Don't overstay your welcome.  Do your solo and then back away.  A little
bit of harp goes a long way for most players, especially new ones.

I hope this is good advice and if it is not I will welcome the wisdom and
correction of the group.  All I can tell you for sure is that playing badly
in front of much better musicians you respect and a restaurant full of
people stuffing their faces will not kill you.  My first time up, I was so
nervous I had my harp upside down and started my long practiced solo with a
piercing nine hole draw that probably damaged the hearing of every cat
within a mile.  It's a wonder I didn't break the mirror in the men's room.
You may want to die when it's over but it hasn't killed me yet and I keep
going back and having a little more fun every time.

Bill Kumpe
Tulsa