I gave them maybe 3 or 4 separate coats.

A local amp tech told me about the Downy method.

mike

On Jun 23, 2009, at 9:50 AM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Message: 10
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 07:39:19 EDT
From: SONNYTONE@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] breaking in speakers
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Normally, maybe that technique of running white noise through stiff
speakers works, but I have taken care of that and any possibility of cone cry by
having the 12" speaker I use from Weber moderately doped, it gives that
already broken in sound, then with the right 2 different 8" speakers, the amp
comes out of the box "broken in" sounding. That is what everyone has
responded with. Ted Weber gave me a tip and said to spray Downy fabric softener on
the cone lightly, make sure no big globs. I tried that on the stiff
original silver Jensen P10R's I have, may need to do it as many times until you
can hear the difference when you tap the cone, not something you want to
try, but I did it and it worked as best as possible. Playing them is still the
best break in possible. Once you have amps out in the field for over 10
years and get feedback that the amp sounds better all the time, reflects the
playing aspect of the break in.

Michael Easton www.harmonicarepair.com